Now that it is the end of the year, it is officially time for the obligatory year in review post. Normally I’m not a big fan of the sentimental “oh what a year it was” craziness, but I must say after reading many recent posts about what a garbage year 2016 was, I really think 2016 has gotten quite a bad wrap. In the spirit of hope and good cheer, here are some awesome things that happened in 2016…
1. Woohoo for Team USA! We brought home the gold in the 2016 Olympics in Rio. Everyone thought having it in Brazil would be a disaster, but nope! Read more on that here.
2. Shots all Around! The relationship between autism and vaccinations was revealed for the hoax that it was and everyone can now happily vaccinate their children to save us all from MMR. For everyone’s sake, vaccinate your kiddos!
3. (As Oprah would say)You Get a Job! You Get a Job! You Get a Job! Unemployment hit an all time low since 2007 at a pretty impressive 4.6 percent. Yeah for employment!
4. Vote for Democracy 2016 saw one of the most hotly contested presidential elections of all time where an astounding 139 million Americans voted, yet no one actually liked either choice. While many Americans may not be happy with the results, at least we actually voted this year. At an abismal 63% it is still higher participation than recent years, the other most recent high being in 1876 with an overwhelming 83% turnout. Go America! At least we voted!
5. Around the World in 365 Days Yep this little ‘ole blog of mine has been viewed by lovely folks in over 115 countries. Yep, you read that right folks, countries. Not counties. Everywhere from Argentina to Zimbabwe you lovely lot have been tuning in. I call that a win! For the record, my most popular post of the year, at over 14,000 views is Fun Killer and Other Mom Jobs. Looks like moms from all over the world agree, it’s a tough job but someone has to do it!
6. Here’s To Your Health Latest research from AARP shows that this year, the FDA has approved several vaccines used in the fight against cancer, namely prostate, melanoma, and most recently, lung cancers. Read more about this awesomeness here.
7. Rise and Walk This year, scientists were actually able to inject modified human stem cells into the brains of patients who had suffered strokes that left them with limited mobility and in wheelchairs. All 18 patients were able to walk freely again with little to no side effects. Read more amazing scientific discoveries here. Score one for medicine!
So, before you go all “good riddance” to 2016, just remember all the amazing things that DID happen- the best of which is you are alive and well enough to read this lovely post.
Cheers to 2016! ?