Bible journaling has been gaining in popularity over the last 5 years. Luckily, there are thousands of resources on how to get started and getting inspired. But it is really easy to fall into a few traps that can keep any beginner from cracking the Good Book. While the internet is swarming with bible journaling tips, many can be overwhelming and can over complicate it so much that we become afraid to even pick up the pens because we might do it “wrong.”
What is bible journaling?
Bible journaling is the best combination of God’s gifts to you. Bible journaling is when you study His written word and use your God-given creative talents to respond. What is so great about bible journaling is there is no “right” or “wrong” way to do it. I believe it is a form of worship that gives you a bit more creative license than perhaps some others forms of worship.
Examples of bible journaling
When I first decided to explore bible journaling, I wasn’t exactly sure what it was or even what it “should” look like. But really, bible journaling is pretty much anything that you want it to be. Here are a few examples, just to get you thinking. Then we can move on to my favorite bible journaling tips!
- Verse study
- Image creation
- Homily or sermon notes
- Response journaling/note-taking
Bible journaling: tips to know before you start
- Beware of the Pinterest hole! Yes, we all know that Pinterest is an amazing place to find inspiration and about a million how-to’s. But if you are anything like me, you head there for a “quick minute” for some inspo, and before you know it, your 3 seconds of “free time” is gone faster than your toddler eating an Oreo.
- Don’t over-think it! I struggle so much with feeling like I can’t measure up to the amazing work of others. So much so, that it often keeps me from trying at all. After all, if I can’t do it “perfectly” what’s the point of doing it at all. (I know, I know- I’m working on it). Don’t let the fear of imperfection keep you from trying.
- Try and set aside a quiet time and place to work. Now I know, for those of us with kids, there is likely no such place. But it can be helpful to set aside a certain time that way you have a much better chance of actually doing the bible journaling as opposed to just wanting to do it.
- However, if that is the case, embrace the crazy! Have your kiddos grab a journal and some markers and let ‘er rip! You might be surprised how insightful and creative our kids can be. My youngest sat down with with me to create project idea listed below. It is the perfect beginner project because it is really easy and requires NO artistic talent at all.
Bible journaling ideas for beginners
Below is an really easy and unique project to help you get started. It uses minimal supplies, likely things you already have around your house.
- Bible- preferably one with journaling margins or this one Perfect for Beginners
- Pencil (if you homeschool, these Ticonderogas are priceless!) At the time of this post, they are on a HUGE back to school sale- 7.12.21
- Watercolor paper or any thicker paper (Canson is my favorite totally affordable favorite)
- Watercolor paints and brush (this small travel set is what I used) also on sale
- washi tape
Bible journaling tips for your first project: step-by-step
- Psalms is the easiest place to start, unless you have another passage that you already know you want to use. So, basically choose your passage.
- Cut out the shape to cover the journaling portion of the page.
- Copy the short passage in pencil.
- Use the wet-on-wet technique to add drops of random colors as a background. Just randomly put water on the paper, then just put color on your brush and drop it on the wet parts of your paper.
- While your paper dries, pray on the passage and spend some time journaling your thoughts, feelings, prayers, and intentions.
- Once dry, use a pen to copy over the passage in pen.
- Use the washi tape to attach the paper to the top so that it can be easily flipped up.
- Voila! Congratulations! I’m sure it is beautiful!
If you are looking for a great FREE dowloadable color page, check out this resource, You Are Clothed with Strength and Dignity
Sign up below to get once a weekly update on my latest posts and freebies!
Until next time, keep smiling 🙂