Nothing says summer like a fresh tub of strawberries. But for those of us with chronic illnesses, making a beautiful dessert is often the farthest thing from our minds. Never fear, I am here to save the day with this super simple recipe for an easy summer dessert.
The secret is to buy the little angel food cups. They come already made and in a little package at most big box grocers. They look like this…
Easy Summer Dessert
Then all you have to do is whip up the rich icing to fill the shell. Here is the recipe:
Strawberry Icing Ingredients:
- 8 oz block of cream cheese, full fat preferably
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-3 1/2 cups of sifted confectioners sugar
- While still mostly chilled, add the cream cheese to your stand mixer using the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add the still mostly chilled butter to the cream cheese and mix at medium speed until well blended.
- In a small chopper, puree the strawberries.
- Slowly begin to add the confectioners sugar to the butter/cream cheese using your paddle attachment.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the strawberry puree and mix.
- Add the vanilla extract and blend.
Do not over blend, adding too much air to your icing will cause it to melt too much.
Add more/less confectioners sugar until you are happy with the taste and consistency.
Be sure to use butter and cream cheese that is still pretty chilled, otherwise your icing will end up too runny.
Once your icing is finished, depending on how much energy you have left, you can either pipe it into the cake shells or simply spoon it in. It looks beautiful either way.
For a finishing touch, simply garnish with a slice of strawberry or even just place the whole strawberry right on top. Either way, with this easy summer dessert, you can’t go wrong.
Looking for a super simple crock pot meal for those days when you just have no spoons to spare? Check out these.